CLEMSON UNIVERSITY, CLEMSON, SC
Funded by the class of 1957, this structure is designed to be placed in the President's Park at Clemson University.
The rotunda serves as a focal point for the park and it marks the entrance to the Campus from route 93.
It is located in Clemson's historic district and its form and design language as well as the use of brick and precast stone trim is derived from the neo-classical buildings nearby.
There are eight equal wall elements separated by recesses. A semicircular brick arch centered in each element springs from semicircular brick pilasters and is topped by three smaller openings.
Precast elements articulate base, transitions, lintel and cornice. The zinc covered domed roof opens into a glass oculus.
|back to higher education list||back to portfolio|